To acknowledge ladies’s well being all through the month of Could, Dignity Well being Medical Teams can be sharing perception from 4 physicians throughout totally different specialties about matters which might be essential to ladies’s well being.
First up in our Girls’s Well being Month collection is Anila Chadha, MD, with Dignity Well being Medical Group — Bakersfield. Dr. Chadha is a household drugs doctor and discusses the significance of annual screenings and preventative care.
Dr. Anila Chadha: The 1st step is figuring out the varied screening exams which might be obtainable to ladies; step two is guaranteeing you’re having them completed on the acceptable time in your life. Early detection of a medical downside, together with most cancers, could be life-saving and may cut back the chance of problems.
Essential screenings and advisable ages:
- Cervical most cancers screening with Pap smear — begin on the age 21 and repeat each 3 years
- Breast most cancers screening with mammogram — screenings ought to happen yearly beginning at age 40
- Colorectal most cancers screening — begin at age of 45 with colonoscopy or stool take a look at; intervals of repeat testing will depend on earlier outcomes and private danger elements
- Lung most cancers screening — for girls aged 50-80 who’ve a 20 pack-year* smoking historical past or have stop smoking within the final 15 years. *A “pack-year” is a strategy to measure smoking publicity and refers to smoking one pack of cigarettes per day for the final 20 years.
- Osteoporosis screening — beginning at age 65 with an annual bone measurement take a look at.
Are there generally neglected well being situations that have an effect on ladies disproportionately to males?
Dr. Anila Chadha: Coronary artery illness, attributable to plaque build-up within the arteries that provide blood to the guts, is the main reason behind demise in ladies. In ladies, typical illness signs like chest ache might as an alternative current as higher again ache, jaw ache, shortness of breath and sweating. These signs could be generally neglected and if undiagnosed might ultimately result in a coronary heart assault.
The incidence of urinary incontinence — or the lack of bladder management — in ladies is way larger than males, and isn’t usually talked about. Therapy for this situation is attainable and may vary from medicine to surgical procedure. Girls ought to you should definitely convey up potential signs of urinary incontinence throughout their annual wellness appointments.
Lastly, Consideration Deficit/Hyperactivity Dysfunction (ADHD) has a much less frequent analysis in younger ladies than boys, mostly as a result of signs of ADHD current in another way in ladies. Whereas boys might have extra bodily aggressive signs, ladies with ADHD extra usually current with lack of focus or low vanity. These signs in ladies could be uncared for and due to this fact deprive ladies of therapy, resulting in additional psychological well being issues in maturity.
Attain out to your main care doctor to debate and schedule annual screenings, or seek the advice of our “Find a Doctor” instrument to discover a Dignity Well being Medical Group physician close to you.
Proceed to verify the Dignity Well being Medical Teams weblog for extra Girls’s Well being Month reminders all through the month.