Parigha means “gate” in Sanskrit and particularly refers back to the crossbar that helps hold the gate closed. It’s simple to know the title of the pose provided that it seems to be like a gate and you’re feeling such as you’re opening and shutting as you progress via it. As your bent leg grounds you, your prolonged arms, facet physique, and straight leg stretch, making the asana grounding and liberating on the identical time. As you alter sides, each knees come down, like closing the gate, earlier than you open the alternative facet.
Parighasana, fairly merely, feels good. The facet physique is commonly ignored in on a regular basis life—even in yoga class. This stretch isolates that a part of the physique and means that you can linger in it. You possibly can put together for it by standing in Tadasana (Mountain Pose), reaching your fingers overhead, and clasping one hand across the different wrist and leaning deeply to 1 route after which the opposite.
Gate Pose fundamentals
Sanskrit: Parighasana (par-ee-GAHS-ah-nah)
parigha = gate, crossbar
asana = pose
Pose kind: Facet bend
Targets: Decrease physique
Gate Pose improves posture and counteracts the consequences of sitting for prolonged durations of time. It additionally lengthens your facet physique out of your armpit to your hips, together with the obliques, the muscle mass alongside the backbone, and the difficult-to-stretch intercostal muscle mass of the facet physique, which hook up with the ribs and may develop into tight from poor posture. When these muscle mass are elongated, the rib cage’s motion is much less restricted and due to this fact respiration is improved. It additionally stretches massive again muscle mass, together with the latissimus dorsi, and the muscle mass alongside your backbone, together with the erector spinae.
On the prolonged knee facet, it stretches the again of your thighs (hamstrings), the groins, inside thighs (adductors), calf muscle mass, ankle, and foot. Your quadriceps and entrance of your hips (hip flexors) are strengthened.
On the bent knee facet, the pose principally stretches your outer hips (abductors) and stretches and strengthens the entrance of your hips (hip flexors) and thigh (quadriceps) as you stabilize your self.
- Start kneeling together with your knees and ft hip distance aside. Carry your fingers to your hips.
- Press down with all 10 toenails. Hold your pelvis in impartial place, neither tilting ahead nor again, as you’re taking your left leg straight out to the facet in step with your proper knee. Exernally rotate from deep in your left hip socket and press the outer fringe of your left foot and your left massive toe mound into the ground. Hold your proper hip immediately over your knee.
- Inhale and take your proper arm out to the facet, externally rotating in order that your palm faces the ceiling.
- Exhale and lean towards your straight leg, letting your left hand slide down your left leg as a lot as is snug. Don’t drive the stretch.
- Flip your head to gaze underneath your lifted proper arm.
- Gently rotate your chest towards the ceiling. Make sure you hold your high shoulder blade again to keep away from rounding the backbone ahead.
- Use your inhalations to elongate your backbone and deepen into the facet physique stretch.
- To launch the pose, slowly stack your shoulders on high of your hips, come again to each knees, and relaxation in your heels. Repeat on the opposite facet.
Discover the pose
- For those who expertise knee tenderness, slide a folded blanket or double your mat beneath you. When you have a knee harm or expertise discomfort when kneeling, skip the pose or apply it sitting on a chair by stretching one leg out to the facet and retaining the opposite knee bent (see Variations beneath).
Gate Pose variations
Gate Pose with a blanket
Place a folded blanket underneath your bent knee for padding.
Gate Pose towards a wall
Apply Gate Pose with a wall behind you to assist your again physique for extra stability. Angle the shin and foot of your bent leg in towards your straight leg to create house in your again to be close to or towards the wall.
Gate Pose in a chair
Start seated in a chair. Prolong your left leg out to the facet and straighten it as a lot as is snug. Bend your proper knee and convey the underside of your proper foot close to your inside left thigh. Place your left hand in your left thigh for assist, and prolong your proper arm overhead as you start to lean towards the straight leg.
Preparatory and Counter Poses