In October 2021, the U.S. Meals and Drug Administration (FDA) licensed the emergency use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for youngsters ages 5 by 11. Pfizer-BioNTech is the one COVID-19 vaccine licensed to be used on this age group.
The American Academy of Household Physicians, CDC and American Academy of Pediatrics agree the vaccine is protected and efficient, and advocate all youngsters obtain the vaccine when eligible. Vaccination in opposition to COVID-19 on this age group, coupled with masking and distancing, will assist scale back the necessity for future college closures, training disruptions, and quarantine occasions, which impression their emotional and social improvement.
Path to Improved Well being
The FDA says there are some key factors mother and father want to concentrate on:
- Effectiveness: Immune responses of kids 5 by 11 years of age have been much like these within the 16 to 25 age group. The vaccine was discovered to be 90.7% efficient in stopping COVID-19 within the youthful age group. It was 100% efficient in stopping hospitalization and demise.
- Security: The vaccine’s security was studied in round 3,100 youngsters aged 5 to 11 who have been discovered to have had no severe unintended effects.
- Price: The COVID-19 vaccination is being supplied freed from cost to all folks dwelling in america.
Issues to Think about
The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for youngsters is being given in 2 doses, 3 weeks aside. It’s a decrease dose (10 micrograms) than the one used for older age teams (30 micrograms).
With the newer variants, there may be proof that youngsters can turn out to be very sick from COVID-19 leading to hospitalization. Youngsters also can have long-term problems from COVID-19 even with a light or asymptomatic an infection.
Vaccinating youngsters also can shield relations. This contains siblings who could also be too younger to get vaccinated and relations who could have an elevated threat of getting sick if they’re contaminated.
Youngsters ages 5-11 who’ve average to extreme immunosuppression can obtain a further (third) dose of the Pfizer vaccine to make sure they’ve sufficient safety.
If you need extra info on the vaccine or to schedule an appointment, you possibly can:
- Verify along with your baby’s household physician about whether or not they provide the vaccination.
- Verify your native pharmacy’s web site to see if appointments can be found for youngsters.
- Contact your state, territorial, native, or tribal well being division for extra info.
Inquiries to Ask Your Physician
- Is my baby sufficiently old to obtain the vaccine?
- What are a few of the potential unintended effects of the vaccine?
- Is the vaccine harmful?
- What can occur if I don’t get my baby vaccinated?