£500 million to develop the grownup social care workforce
The federal government has introduced that at the very least £500 million from the Well being and Social Care Levy is to be spent on bettering recruitment, retention, development, and workers wellbeing for grownup social care employees in England.
The levy, which got here into pressure at present, will generate £36 billion over the following three years for the well being and social care system. Solely £5.4 billion of this complete is devoted to grownup social care.
The federal government stated the social care funding shall be used to “appeal to new workers into the sector and assist these already in it by offering vital funding in particular person studying and growth and supporting workers psychological well being and wellbeing”.
Minister of state for care and psychological well being Gillian Keegan stated: I’m extremely happy with all of the social care workers who’ve labored so exhausting, notably in the course of the pandemic. As we recuperate from Covid-19, we should look to the longer term and to reform – this £500 million bundle of assist will increase workforce recruitment, enable workers to progress of their careers within the sector and really importantly, guarantee workers wellbeing is best supported.”
The federal government subject an inventory yesterday of the place it’s pointing the social care funding:
- A data and expertise framework, profession pathways and linked funding for studying and growth to assist development for care employees and registered managers
- Funding for care certificates, alongside vital work to create a supply customary recognised throughout the sector to enhance transferability throughout settings, so care employees don’t must repeat the care certificates when shifting roles
- Steady skilled growth budgets for registered nurses, nursing associates, occupational therapists and different allied well being professionals
- Funding in social employee coaching
- Initiatives to supply wellbeing and psychological well being assist and to enhance entry to occupational well being to assist workers resilience and restoration following their function within the pandemic
- A brand new digital hub for the workforce to entry assist, info and recommendation, and a conveyable file of studying and growth
- New insurance policies to determine and assist finest recruitment practices regionally
- Exploration of latest nationwide and native insurance policies to make sure constant implementation of the above, in addition to increased requirements of employment and care offered.
A lot of the levy is to be spent on the NHS, as a result of the variety of folks ready for elective care in England now stands bat six million, up from 4.4 million earlier than the pandemic and anticipated to rise, as as much as 10 million folks didn’t come ahead for therapy in the course of the pandemic.
5 native authorities in England have been chosen to implement a brand new grownup social care charging reform system which caps the price of care: Wolverhampton, Blackpool, Cheshire East, Newham, North Yorkshire, which can put the charging reform plans in place subsequent January forward of a nationwide rollout in October subsequent 12 months.
Date revealed: April 6, 2022
Subscriber content material
To get limitless entry subscribe at present
Already a subscriber? Login