Twelve journalists have been chosen for the AHCJ-CDC Well being Journalism Fellowship, the primary time since 2019 the 2 organizations have been capable of provide the coaching in particular person on the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention Chamblee Campus in Atlanta.
The multi-day coaching was held just about in Might 2021 with 12 journalists collaborating.
With help from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Belief, this yr’s fellows will spend three days — June 6-8 — studying from consultants and touring CDC’s huge facility.
The fellowship program will embrace shows, a tour of the David J. Sencer CDC Museum, roundtable discussions on epidemiology, world illness prevention efforts and vaccine security, amongst different subjects.
The AHCJ-CDC fellows are:
- Jeannie Baumann, senior reporter, Bloomberg Trade Group
- Jeffrey Bendix, senior editor, Medical Economics
- Karen Blum, unbiased journalist, core matter chief/ well being IT, AHCJ
- Amanda D’Ambrosio, enterprise and investigative author, MedPage At the moment
- Pam Kaufman, government editor, On a regular basis Well being
- Lindsey Leake, well being, welfare and social justice reporter; TCPalm/Treasure Coast newspapers
- Ashley Lyles, affiliate editor, Neurology At the moment, Wolters Kluwer
- Gillian Mohney, breaking information editor, Healthline
- Shaena Montanari, investigative well being reporter, Arizona Heart for Investigative Reporting
- Emily Mullin, well being reporter, Pittsburg Publish-Gazette
- Neha Pathak, lead medical editor, WebMD
- Michele Skalicky, reporter/morning version host, KSMU-FM
Based on its mission assertion: “CDC serves because the nationwide focus for growing and making use of illness prevention and management, environmental well being, and well being promotion and well being training actions designed to enhance the well being of the individuals of the US. To perform its mission, CDC identifies and defines preventable well being issues and maintains lively surveillance of ailments by means of epidemiologic and laboratory investigations and knowledge assortment, evaluation, and distribution; serves because the PHS lead company in growing and implementing operational applications regarding environmental well being issues, and conducts operational analysis aimed toward growing and testing efficient illness prevention, management, and well being promotion applications; administers a nationwide program to develop really useful occupational security and well being requirements and to conduct analysis, coaching, and technical help to guarantee protected and healthful working situations for each working particular person; develops and implements a program to maintain a powerful nationwide workforce in illness prevention and management; and conducts a nationwide program for bettering the efficiency of scientific laboratories.
CDC is answerable for controlling the introduction and unfold of infectious ailments and offers session and help to different nations and worldwide businesses to help in bettering their illness prevention and management, environmental well being, and well being promotion actions. CDC administers the Preventive Well being and Well being Companies Block Grant and particular preventive well being categorical grant applications whereas offering program experience and help in responding to Federal, State, native, and personal organizations on issues associated to illness prevention and management actions.”